Art Alexion on 24 May 2007 20:06:44 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Samba changes

On Thursday 24 May 2007 15:19, Austin Murphy wrote:
> Either I don't understand what you are doing or you are
> way-overthinking this problem.  There should not be any "WAN" links
> with both ends on your premises.

Perhaps I misused the term.  I was using it in the way that the router
configuration interface uses it, i.e. connections to the ISP/Internet vs. LAN
being connections to the local private network.

> The standard configuration for something like this would be to let the
> router assign all your internal IP's.  You can make the IP assignments
> static in most routers.    It would end up looking something like
> this:
>
>   Router:
> public side: ISP assigned public IP addr.
> private side: 192.168.1.1
>  Wired:
> rodney: 192.168.1.10
> chubby: 192.168.1.11
>    Wireless:
> stinky: 192.168.1.20
> nighttime: 192.168.1.21
> sara: 192.168.1.22

OK.  This I can I can do, and in the process I guess I should eliminate the
IPs in the wired computers' hosts files?  Should I replace them with the
newly assigned static IPs?  The other thing I can do is configure the router
for the existing static IPs.  Is that a better approach?  (On second thought,
maybe that won't work because the router uses the 192.168.1.2-64 range, and
the existing IPs are in the 192.168.0.1-4 range.)

> Most routers also have "DMZ" function that would allow one of your
> internal systems to have all externally originated traffic to be
> forwarded to.  This is useful to run an SSH, web or mail server.

I'm not sure about this, but I am most concerned with file and printer sharing
for now.

> Does this meet your needs?

I think I am getting closer, thanks.

> Austin
>
> On 5/23/07, Arthur S. Alexion <arthur@alexion.com> wrote:
> >  First, my apologies for the HTML.  I thought it would be the best way to
> > illustrate this question.  This is my current network.
> >

> >  Chubby and Rodney are desktop computers, each with two NICs: one
> > connected to the HUB, the other to the DSL router.  The other computers
> > are laptops, connected wirelessly to the router.
> >
> >  The router acts as a DHCP server and has the capability to act as a hub
> > as well as a router.  Currently, the LAN IPs are provided by hosts files.
> >  The LAN is samba/smbfs.
> >
> >  The following diagram illustrates what I want to do.
> >

> >  I want to eliminate the redundant hub and make the LAN and WAN
> > connections via the DSL router.  It appears that it may "just work" for
> > the laptops, but I am having trouble re-configuring the desktops so that
> > LAN traffic is going through the same NIC as the WAN/Internet, and using
> > the DHCP address assigned by the router.  I've asked help on this before,
> > but have essentially been told that it should just work -- it doesn't.
> >
> >  I even tried Actiontec's (the router OEM) paid support, and they said
> > they don't provide support for the issue while acknowledging that their
> > equipment supports it.
> >
> >  Any and all help or direction will be appreciated.
> >   --

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @