Kevin Brosius on 24 May 2007 23:55:23 -0000

Re: [PLUG] dynamic IP and economics

On 2007-05-24 22:53, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> This email asks the following three questions:
>
>     (1) Should I favor searching for fixed IP at all costs
>     (2) Should I consider using dynamic DNS
>     (3) Should I use dynamic DNS and rent a virtual linux box

Yes. :)

I can relate to this question quite well, as I tend to ask it every 6mo
to 1yr.  And I value having some fixed IP hosting for services I host
publically.  I didn't see you mention concerns about your ISPs Terms Of
Service (TOS), but I add that on top of all your items.  A bunch of the
ISPs I've looked at, with dynamic IP, don't officially allow hosting a
web server, or receiving email on port 22 (for example, Verizon's new
FIOS plans.)

I recently looked at the cost of my Speakeasy static IP account and
compared it to what it would cost me to setup Verizon FIOS dynamic and
get a Linux VPS.  Consider also that the VPS will usually have better
connectivity than you can get at home, as well as included power and
power backup.  On the down side, most VPS accounts will have metered
bandwidth.

There's a decent thread on VPS providers over on dslreports:

I can personally vouch for rapidvps.com.  You can find my archive of the
PLUG list running on one of their Rapid2 accounts:
http://e.kevb.net/lurker/list/plug.en.html .  I'm also running a cvs/svn
mirror with web browsing on it.

You can get a similar VPS in the $10-30/mo range, depending on
storage/bw/ram/cpu allotment.

If you're paying extra for a ISP line at home, you may be able to
justify a lower cost home plan and a VPS account.  I figure I can cut my
overall cost about 70%, by moving to a VPS and a lower cost/faster home
line like Verizon dynamic IP FIOS.  I also get faster hosting for
services on the VPS, as well as better connectivity and power
management.

On the flip side, unless you need to run some custom services (email
archive that isn't a standard, cvs mirror, asterisk), you can probably
find much cheaper and easier to setup hosting with something other than
a VPS.

--
Kevin