Doug Crompton on 25 May 2007 04:40:10 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux (Debian) and raid

On Fri, 25 May 2007, Mark M. Hoffman wrote:

> Hi Doug:
>

> 1) Most onboard RAID controllers do most of the work in software anyway.
>
> 2) If your board dies, you'll have to replace it with one that has that
> same controller.  With software RAID, any board that can connect to the
> disks can be used in a pinch.

Well not sure what happens in linux but in windows I have experience with
thie. My board did die and I needed to get info to a new system. All I did
was attach one of the raid 1 mirrored drives to the new system. It saw it
as a standalone drive and I was able to read from it fine.

So. at least in Windows, there is no special coding of the drive data.
Both drives are simply written with the same data. It is simple and gets
the job done.

I wish Linux could be so easy!

> 3) KNOPPIX will not get confused by any of that, just in case you have reason
> to boot that instead of your normal install.
>
> > This is quite easy to do in Windows because you are just dealing with one
> > partitiion. In linux I have typically used 5 or 6 plus swap.
> >
> > It would be nice to have everything on raid and be done with it. Would you
> > put swap on raid? If not how would you deal with that?
>
> I've done software RAID w/ CentOS.  I set it up like this:
>
> /dev/hda1 and /dev/hdc1 => /dev/md0 (raid1) => /boot
>
> /dev/hda2 => swap
> /dev/hdc2 => swap
>
> /dev/hda3 and /dev/hdc3 => /dev/md1 (raid1) => /dev/VolGroup00 (LVM)
>
> The remaining partitions are allocated on the LVM volume.

I was trying to avoid the complication of LVM, etc. I just want ext3 or
equiv partitions and mirrored raid.

> > How do you bring a virgin system up on raid? Do you first install to one
> > drive and then later on create a raid array? With Windows there is a
> > driver and you create a raid array and load the OS. Quite easy actually.
>
> The above layout was all pretty standard and easy w/ CentOS 5 installer.  I've
> not tried it with any other distro, sorry.
>
> > Has anyone done this with an onboard (intel) raid controller?
>
> Like I said, not recommended.  Or just use it for more channels for software
> RAID.
>
> HTH,
>
> --
> Mark M. Hoffman
> mhoffman@lightlink.com

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *