Mag Gam on 29 May 2007 21:07:38 -0000

[PLUG] SAN Questions

  • From: "Mag Gam" <magawake@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: [PLUG] SAN Questions
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 17:07:31 -0400
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Hi All,

    Linux is an operating system that has evolved greatly in the academic, personal, and perhaps the most in the enterprise sector. My co-workers and I work on AIX on a daily basis, and we have been pondering some day-to-day tasks, and wondering how Linux handles them. These tasks include anywhere from HBA connectivity between host & switch, LUN/Physical volume management, and last the overall benefit of using Linux in the enterprise.
  HBA connectivity between host & switch is critical to provide high performance storage to the application.  We were wondering, what type of HBAs are available? Are the HBA modules already part of the Linux core kernel? What other modules are required to have HBA+SCSI children devices? Are these modules supported by vendors (ie Redhat, SuSE)? How does multi-path software compare to other Unix flavors (EMC PowerPath)? Also, is there such a thing as a hot swappable HBA for Linux hardware?
 Second, couple of questions pertaining the LUN and physical volume configuration: once the HBA is logged into the fabric, how does one see its WWN?  How do you scan the I/O board for new LUNs (Physical Disks)? Is a reboot required to introduce new LUNs? Once a LUN is zoned to the HBA's WWN, what is the exact procedure to create a filesystem on it?
 Last perhaps the most important, what is the overall experience with Linux in the enterprise level? Being a  Linux group, I guess I should expect some biased answers. We are currently evaluating Linux , and wondering if its ready for some of our "Tier 3" applications, and wanted some feedback from people who work on it from a day-to-day basis, instead of a Vendor.

Thanks in advance for your replies!