Matthew Rosewarne on 5 Jun 2007 01:21:32 -0000

Re: [PLUG] /dev/loop/0 only once?

On Monday 04 June 2007 21:11, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> I was surprised to find that I can only mount one ISO image at a time:
>
>     # mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop=/dev/loop/0 debian-cd-1.iso debian-cd-1
>
> Try that again without an intervening umount and I'm told device
> busy.  E.g., I want to look at
>
>     # mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop=/dev/loop/0 debian-cd-2.iso debian-cd-2
>
> Sure enough, there's no /dev/loop/1, but why should I need it?
>
> I don't really need to do it, though it would be nice.  But I'd really
> like to debug my understanding of mount.  I thought this should work.

When I mount a cd image, it's suffient to supply only "-o loop".  The
filesystem should automatically be guessed and set read-only, and a new loop
device should be created for it.  So that same command could be more easily
written as:

mount debian-cd-2.iso debian-cd-2/ -o loop