Doug Crompton on 14 Jun 2007 07:40:43 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Questions on LVM raid...

Well against the groups recommendations I have instituted HW raid  or as
you would call it fake raid. It just works so well and I am just not
comfortable with LVM. Twice now I have been unable to reboot using it.
SUSE recommends that swap, boot, and root not be in LVM. So why use it. On
a large 250G drive all partitions are so large anyhow I cannot imagine why
I would need to resize later.

On the Intel board you set raid in the BIOS, type cntrl I at boot and
setup the raid array - takes about 20 seconds. Start SUSE install from
DVD, it recognizes intel raid and creates partitions using it as you
desire. That is it. It works.

Viewing the partition table you see a straighforward listing. The entire
disk is raid 1 and you do not have to mess with seperate md0, md1, what is
in lvm, what is not, etc.  For me anyhow this is a much better approach.

Yes I know if the MB fails I cannot retrieve the data unless I get another
board. Yes backups are still necessary.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *