James Barrett on 29 Jun 2007 12:37:06 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Help with laptop wireless setup ($)

If you absolutely need to use the wpc11 (horendous card, I own one), then I would suggest that you follow these instructions specific for ubuntu:

Otherwise, I would suggest that you consider buying a different card, maybe the orinoco classic gold (can be found on ebay), which always "just works" in whatever I put it into.

Chad Vogelsong wrote:
You can always try this:

http://www.linuxvoodoo.com/resources/howtos/linksysv4/

Douglas Lentz wrote:
Hi all,

I have a Dell Latitude CPx and a Linksys WPC11v.4 wireless-B adapter. Ubuntu is the distro, I downloaded it about a month ago, so it's recent. I had hoped that Ubuntu would recognize the card on startup but no luck, the laptop simply doesn't see the card.

I am going to Europe in about two weeks, and sadly, I just don't have to time learn what's going on in this case. Anybody out there, if this is the sort of thing you do, I can bring the Latitude over to your place and pay you to install the card. (I work 3pm to 11pm, so mornings or weekends is best). I was thinking fifty bucks, or best offer? Somebody let me know if that's out of line.

I'm not married to Ubuntu, by the way. There is no useful data on the laptop, it could be wiped clean if that would expedite matters.

Thanks,

Doug Lentz