Doug Crompton on 23 Jul 2007 21:52:41 -0000

Re: [PLUG] DNS question

Dave,

 Thanks. But doesn't specifying files mean it will only look in the host
file? Maybe not... but I want it to still do the dns lookups only the dns
is on a different system.

Doug

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, David Colon wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>      I guess you are using NIS based on the map question.  To make
> sendmail work under Suse without dns, we had to add the following file
> to /etc/mail:
>
> # cat service.switch
> # /etc/mail/service-nodns.switch
> #
> # Author: Werner Fink <feedback@suse.de>
> #
> # The only difference between /etc/nsswitch.conf and
> # this file: There is NO colon after the service.
> # Remark: this setup should avoid dialups.
> #
> # This file is required for HACK(nodns) or SENDMAIL_NODNS.
> #
> hosts           files
> aliases         files
>
> Hopefully that works for you.  Good luck.
>
> David
>
> On 7/23/07, Doug Crompton <doug@crompton.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am seetting up a new system and moving services to it. It is functioning
> > fine except for the following issue.
> >
> > I moved all DNS to system 2 and set resolve.conf on system 1 to point to
> > the IP of system 2. nslookup on system 1 now does lookups fine using the
> > default system 2 DNS.
> >
> > Ok now I stop bind on system 1. nslookup still work fine. BUT mail stops
> > (which is still on system 1) because it cannot reslove domains.
> >
> > Does sendmail use a different map to dns than resolve.conf???
> >

> > Doug

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *