Doug Crompton on 24 Jul 2007 19:29:41 -0000

RE: [PLUG] ssh brute force attacks & real time offending IP lists

Banning entiire countires was the answer for me, especially for email.
Send a message you don't want their junk. I have no reason to get
legitimate email or connections from these nations anyhow and if I did I
could add it back in on a per case basis.

I have a very large access list for sendmail or should I call it no
access!

Doug.

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Mark Baker wrote:

> > however, keep in mind that this (and even my suggestion to a lesser
> > degree)
> > opens up some potential security/DDOS issues.  for example, if you
> base
> > your
> > access control list on data someone else is providing, it's possible
> that
> > either directly (feeding fake data) or indirectly (connection
> spoofing) a
> > mean person could put your own network blocks into said list, causing
> some
> > grief :)
>
> Sean,
>
> You're absolutely correct. There is a risk if you do not trust the
> person providing the information, although I am sure most of us trust
> the anti-spam lists provided with our spam assassin installs etc.
>
> I do think a list of brute-force offenders such as the one spamhaus
> compiles would be very useful and one we could all benefit from.  In
> fact I am surprised a list like this hasnt been created.  Does anyone
> have am idea why this is?  I am sure we arent the fist ones to have
> this discussion.
>
> Mark

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *