Mike Leone on 1 Aug 2007 12:49:02 -0000

[PLUG] Upgrading Debian testing from kernel 2.4 to 2.6

SO I never got around to upgrading my home server (running Debian testing) from kernel 2.4 to 2.6. Then today I did some upgrades, and - not paying too much attention - didn't realize that one of the things I told it to upgrade requires libc6 for kernel 2.6.x.

<SIGH>

So now it won't install this version of libc6, without a kernel 2.6. I tried to tell it to install linux-image-2.6.21, figuring that would get me a kernel 2.6 machine. But of course, the kernel 2.6 won't install, since apt-get is trying to install libc6 first (which is failing).

So how do I fix this? I'd like to get to kernel 2.6.21, *then* install the simple updates I was trying for (I was trying to upgrade aptitude to the latest version, when I screwed myself over this way).

Any help appreciated. The system (which is my mail server) is running, and I won't reboot it (or touch it ... :-)) until I can get this resolved.

Thanks