JP Vossen on 30 Aug 2007 21:30:37 -0000

Re: [PLUG] bash command missing

> Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 14:13:14 -0400
> From: "Chad Waters" <chad@chadwaters.com>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] bash command missing
>
> On 8/30/07, Brent Saner  wrote:
> > > i was under the impression it uses dash now, and dash is planned
> > > for release in upcoming debian...
>
> This might explain the confusion
>
> *@*:~$ ls -l /bin/*sh
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 701008 2007-08-27 05:41 /bin/bash
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  80308 2007-07-29 23:15 /bin/dash
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      4 2007-08-27 08:23 /bin/rbash -> bash
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      4 2006-10-10 11:19 /bin/sh -> dash
>
> /bin/sh is a link to dash.
>
> bash however is the default user shell. Just created via adduser:
> testuser:x:1002:1002:,,,:/home/testuser:/bin/bash

Correct. As of Ubuntu 6.10 /bin/sh --> dash, not bash. And a future Debian (e.g. Lenny) will make the switch as well. It is my understanding this is to improve (perhaps drastically) boot speed, since dash is much smaller than bash, and whatever "/bin/sh" is gets called a gazillion times during boot.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DashAsBinSh
http://release.debian.org/lenny-goals.txt

HOWEVER, the default user shell is still bash, though of course you can use chsh or just edit /etc/passwd however you feel like.

Grab our presentation files from http://conferences.oreillynet.com/presentations/ubuntu2007/ul_albingvossen.zip and open 04_bash_vs_dash.odp for 20 slides on the differences and gotchas (there are a bunch). Pay attention to the slide titles when reading!

As for why 'bc' didn't work, from the thread above it sounds like it simply wasn't installed... The following trivially finds the package to install, though it was already noted above that it's (wait for it) 'bc':
apt-cache search bc | grep '^bc'
bc - The GNU bc arbitrary precision calculator language

Later,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.