Greg Lopp on 4 Sep 2007 18:12:44 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Network based RAM

  • From: "Greg Lopp" <lopp@pobox.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Network based RAM
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 13:12:40 -0500
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On 9/4/07, Brent Saner <brent.saner@gmail.com> wrote:
what would be nice in the future is to see consumer-level mobos with hotpluggable RAM, maybe even externally. that'd solve this entire problem.

why stop there?
i think if every single thing could be hotswappable (i give that technology about another 5-7 years to show up),

hotswappable PCI has existed for many many years.  It doesn't get used in the commercial desktop market because, um, probably cost.  There's a good deal of extra engineering, testing and parts that go into a board that can be inserted in a hot system.  Were I a manufacturer, I wouldn't be too interested in that extra effort and cost while I was competeing in a commodity market.  As a consumer, I wouldn't be interested in paying a few extra $$ for this feature either. Granted, I'm not working in a server room/farm, but I'm going to have to bring that system down regardless.
Aside from CPUs and RAM, what currently isn't available from USB?

I will say this about USB flash drives and ReadyBoost : it's performance boost (probably) isn't so great because of the flash device.....but why does it need to be flash if I'm going to use it for this purpose?  Where are the USB RAM drives?

it'd be awesome. oh, bad processor? swap a new one in!

it'd be mind-boggling as to how that'd WORK, though...

....as long as you have some other, master processor to keep track of things while you swap the slaves out and in.....