Eric on 9 Sep 2007 12:42:26 -0000

Re: [PLUG] shutdown/terminal question

I'm not 100% sure I understand the scenario on which the question is based.  Is
this a situation where someone is working on a Linux/UNIX workstation and the
admin remotely shuts the computer down?

In my experience (General Electric - Lockheed Martin in the 90's) the admin
would call you on the phone and say "it's goin' down!".  For scenarios where
there were multiple users logged into the system (I had an NCD X-Terminal on my
desk) they called me from Utica New York to tell me they had to take the system
down.  Typically outages were scheduled at least 24 hours in advance so we could
be notified by email.  I don't remember any on-screen notifications although I
usually had so many terminal windows open that there was never any problem
seeing messages.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Brent Saner wrote:
> hey everyone. quick question. i asked this on ##linux (freenode), but
> nobody answered.
>
> if you do a shutdown -r +5 'Going down for reboot' ..... does that
> display the message in some sort of dialog box in desktop managers i.e.
> kde, gnome? or only print it to terminals/terminal emu's?
>
> --
> Brent Saner
> 215.264.0112(cell)
> 215.362.7696(residence)