Toby DiPasquale on 10 Sep 2007 01:58:18 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Backup packages

On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 09:48:50PM -0400, Paul L. Snyder wrote:
> I'm finally getting around to setting up a backup system for all the
> various machines around my house.  Any recommendations as to a good
> package to use?
>
> The backup server is Linux-based, and most of the clients are Linux
> as well.  The option to backup Mac OS and Windows would be nice, but
> is not critical.  The ability to deal intelligently with laptop
> clients, on the other hand, is a sine qua non, as is a FOSS solution.
>
> I'd like something that runs a bit faster than rsync, if possible.
> Currently, I'm running manual rsyncs whenever I happen to remember
> to do so.   Ideally, I'd like to install the client on the various
> machines and forget about it, other than having the server mail the
> logs to me so I can make sure that everything is continuing to run
> smoothly.
>
> Bacula looks like it has a lot of moving parts.  Has anybody played
> with rdiff-backup?

I'm using flexbackup at work on my Linux server and its been great so far.
Pretty easy to configure, can be driven via cron, comes in dpkg format so
its one aptitude install away, etc. Check it out:

http://www.flexbackup.org/

I have to say, though, at home, I do the same manual rsync routine you're
doing. However, this routine just saved my fat ass this past Monday when
my hard drive head decided it wanted to get some alone time with the
platter. ;-) I only lost about a half-day's worth of stuff and that stuff
was backed up in the $ORK VCS, anyway.

--
Toby DiPasquale