Chad Vogelsong on 10 Sep 2007 11:27:09 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Backup packages

I'll second BackupPC. I set it up at my last job to backup 60+ users at 2 offices, plus several remote (home) workers. The Windows client was easy to setup using the Win version of rsync.

I also use it at home to backup Linux & Windows machines to a central server. From that server, I use a JungleDisk (www.jungledisk.com) client ($20 for unlimited home use & free lifetime upgrades) to send the backups off site to the Amazon Web Services storage farm. I send all my data off site, including pictures, music & movies to the tune of 140+ GB. My monthly bill for backups is usually around $20 - $25 ($0.15 per GB per month, plus a few pennies for data xfer). Well worth it for the piece of mind that we get knowing that if something should happen (fire, flood, theft, etc.), all our precious data is retrievable. All the data is encrypted as soon as it leaves the server at home.

You can use other pieces of software to backup to AWS, including OSS ones. I tried JungleDisk and loved it.

Chad

Paul L.Snyder wrote:
I'm finally getting around to setting up a backup system for all the
various machines around my house.  Any recommendations as to a good
package to use?

The backup server is Linux-based, and most of the clients are Linux
as well.  The option to backup Mac OS and Windows would be nice, but
is not critical.  The ability to deal intelligently with laptop
clients, on the other hand, is a sine qua non, as is a FOSS solution.

I'd like something that runs a bit faster than rsync, if possible.
Currently, I'm running manual rsyncs whenever I happen to remember
to do so.   Ideally, I'd like to install the client on the various
machines and forget about it, other than having the server mail the
logs to me so I can make sure that everything is continuing to run
smoothly.

Bacula looks like it has a lot of moving parts.  Has anybody played
with rdiff-backup?

Thanks,
Paul

-- Chad Vogelsong csv@gamebox.net