Paul L . Snyder on 11 Sep 2007 18:52:33 -0000

Summary of Backup Suggestions (was Re: [PLUG] Backup packages)

On Mon, September 10, 2007, JP Vossen wrote:
> Oh, and I forgot to mention _Backup & Recovery_
> (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596102463/index.html) is a *great*
book.

Thanks for all the responses.  As I expected, there's a lot
of diversity in what folks are using.  To summarize the
comments:

1 for Flexbackup
1 for Unison
3 for BackupPC
1 for Amanda (or scripts if needs are simple)
2 for rdiff-backup

1 for rsnapshop
2 for JungleDisk + Amazon S3 for offsite backups

(with one of votes for BackupPC also recommending
JungleDisk+S3).

Other packages commented on were Bacula and Areca Backup.

Based on the recommendations, I've installed BackupPC on my
server.  I particularly like the agentless backup for Linux
clients.  I have to say that I find the configuration file
a bit obtuse, and I'll have to spend another evening fiddling
with it.

I've been meaning to play around with Unison for my home
directory, so I'll probably look into that as well.  S3 sounds
like a very interesting option for offsite backups, so I'll have
to do some investigation.

Good stuff...thanks for the suggestions.  I'll post back when
I get things set up and working.

Paul