George A. Theall on 12 Sep 2007 10:54:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Looking for a mini-PC

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 09:08:46PM -0500, Adam J. Zion wrote:

> OK, here's the deal: my homebuilt linux workstation is dying a painful
> death, + I'm thinking of replacing it w/a mini-PC, similar to the Zonbu
> or Koolu lines.  I mention those two b/c each is ultra-low energy, as
> well as designed from the ground up to run linux.
> So, does anyone here have any experience or recommendations re: a
> mini-PC along the lines of these two?

I built a Mini-ITX system about 2 years ago for my low-volume file /
mail / web server: a Via EPIA MII w/ 1 GB RAM.  While I don't think it's
designed per se for Linux, I've had zero problems running Gentoo on it.

It comes with a 60 watt power supply.  With an 80 GB 2.5" drive but no
CD, it draws under 40 watts while booting up and about 25 watts when
running under a minimal load, which is most of the time.  I opted for a
Morex 3677B case, which is 8.25" x 2.6" x 10.8", but could have gone
smaller if I had been willing to do without a PCI slot.

Like another poster, I bought from Logic Supply.  They offer fully-
assembled systems as well as main boards and cases for the DIY types.
mini-box.com is another vendor that offers small barebones systems,
although I don't have any exerience with them.  [Mini-itx.com is, I
believe, in the UK.  They seem to have a more interesting variety on the
other side of the Atlantic, if you don't mind the extra hassle of
ordering overseas.]

I've been very happy with my Via and only wish I could justify another
such system.  :-)

George
--
theall@tifaware.com