Chad Vogelsong on 12 Sep 2007 14:35:54 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Looking for a mini-PC

Most of the systems mentioned so far only have specs around 500 MHz / 256-512 MB. If your putting together a "workstation" like you say in your e-mail and are willing to spend a bit more, but still want the small form factor... check out the Koala Mini from System76.

http://system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=53

Faster processors available, up to 1 GB RAM, 40 - 250 GB HDD, DVD-RW, wireless built in and Ubuntu preloaded. Starts at $600.

Chad

Adam J. Zion wrote:
OK, here's the deal: my homebuilt linux workstation is dying a painful death, + I'm thinking of replacing it w/a mini-PC, similar to the Zonbu or Koolu lines. I mention those two b/c each is ultra-low energy, as well as designed from the ground up to run linux.

Zonbu rules itself out b/c it's more of a thin client than a genuine PC- I couldn't, for instance, take an off-the-shelf model + tweak it to play on my home workgroup. Koolu (http://www.koolu.com) looks more like what I'd need, but I'm hesitant to order from overseas (from the spellings, they appear to be based in the UK).

So, does anyone here have any experience or recommendations re: a mini-PC along the lines of these two?

Thx,
-Z

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." * George Orwell ___________________________________________________________________________

-- Chad Vogelsong csv@gamebox.net