george on 15 Sep 2007 13:46:27 -0000

[PLUG] Odd behaviors on moving a domain

Problem No.1:

Recently I moved a domain from one ISP to another. It took a
few hours before tcptraceroute could find the IP address for
the bare domain name (name.com) while it would trace to the
old IP address of the www.name.com version of the canonical
name.  That's because the original ISP had it as a subdomain,
but on the new ISP it's treated as a high-level domain, I guess.

So far, so good.  I moved the website with gFTP with zero
hassles.  Download to my 'puter; upload to the new ISP. Still OK.

Now I find that certain senders of email to name@name.com
cannot get their emails to propagate to my new domain's
webmail account. Formerly they were going to name@oldISP.com.
I do not have a name@newISP.com address.

Is this occurring because the sender's nameserver is not
picking up new domain registrations ?

Problem No.2:

When I changed the nameservers at Network Solutions, I found
an email the next day saying that I had changed my password.
That made the hair stand up on the back of my neck, fer sher.
On calling them, I was told that the IP address for the change
in password was the same as the IP address used by the 'puter
that changed my nameservers.

All I can figure is that the Network Solutions S/W is set to
fudge the password whenever the nameservers get changed in order
to safeguard user accounts - preventing hijacking of domains.

A similar effect is preventing one mailing list from sending
me their digests when I changed the email address (second
account on the same old ISP to a second domain on the new ISP).
When I changed the email address on the list's control center,
it changed the delivery mode from digest to one-at-a-time, but
did not change the email address.  When I unsubscribed, it
started sending me one-at-a-time emails to the new address;
and when I questioned the listmom, I stopped receiving any but
direct correspondence from the listmom.

Are these Firefox features, or is it the Registrar's policy ?
I didn't deliberately change that password ...

Thanks,
George Langford