W. Chris Shank on 15 Sep 2007 20:28:39 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Redux (help me design my server / Looking for a mini-PC)

I've thought about keeping the disks seperate - but I think I'd rather have some redundancy for a small performance hit. Running a disk solo for a majorly important server doesn't sit well with me.

----- Original Message -----
From: high_desert <hidesert@cox.net>
To: PLUG Listserv <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2007 4:18:30 PM GMT-0500
Subject: [PLUG] Redux (help me design my server / Looking for a mini-PC)

I followed the two threads referenced in the subject with interest.

Had a VMWare host at work, initially built ~3 years ago with 6 72(?) GB SCSI drives in a single hardware RAID5. Rebuilt from scratch a few months ago by a more savvy guy - disks 0 and 1 in a mirror, each of the other four drives solo. _Amazing_ performance gains, copying btwn guests, guests not slowing each other's IO, now even the host's and guest's IO is more separate and cleaner. We split functionality across drives, like if guests A and B are gonna be talking or sync'ing they might go on disks 2 and 3; even a single guest can be spread across drives for performance, like OS and software one one drive, database on another.

Anyway, looking to set up a new, low power, quiet, server at home. Need file and print (which I currently do from an old laptop with an external USB drive) and want to run VMWare with like maybe four simultaneous guests.

System76.com's Eland Pedestal for $1518
- Operating System Ubuntu 7.04 Server Edition
- Processor - Intel Dual Core Intel Xeon 3050 2.13 GHz 1066 MHz FSB 2 MB L2
- Memory 8 GB - 4 x 2 GB DDR2 667 MHz
- Storage Options 640 GB - 4 x 160 GB SATA 150 Mbps - 7200 RPM 8 MB Buffer
- RAID Controller Software On-Board RAID Controller
- RAID Level no RAID
- Optical Drive CD-RW / DVD-RW
- Hardware Warranty 3 Year Overnight Parts Replacement Warranty and Standard Technical Support

Found this (Chad's post plus I heard 'bout them from a PodCast or something). Figure to use the Ubuntu host as the F/P server and VMWare server, maybe on two drives software mirrored. Then the other two drives for VMWare guests. But how do you specify this drive config to them when you order? Plus they don't seem to give any more specs anywhere on their site - like what's the mobo, etc.?

- Zake

--
W. Chris Shank
ACE Technology Group, LLC