Paul L . Snyder on 20 Sep 2007 19:01:39 -0000

[PLUG] SPF Question

I'm having problems with mail delivery, and I suspect that SPF is
the culprit.  For the domain in question, I send mail in two ways:

 * Using mutt from my home network
 * Using a web client at my mail host

On my home network, mutt sends the message to a local Postfix
installation which relays the mail to the SMTP server at my mail
host.

Mail sent via the web interface works fine; mail sent from my home
network is not received by some addresses.   I have an SPF record
for the domain specifying my mail host's MX.  I would really not
rather not publish the addresses of my home network in the SPF
record if I can avoid it.  Am I diagnosing this problem correctly?

Would it be better to configure mutt to use a dumb MSA that
directly hands off the mail to the MX rather than using a local
MTA?  My eventual goal is to be able to send messages via
either the SMTP host for my own domains or via Drexel's MX
depending on the sending address.  (Also, I'd like my messages to
be accepted as authentic rather than rejected as spoofed.)

Any thoughts appreciated.

pls