Eric on 22 Sep 2007 21:29:51 -0000

[PLUG] Apache2 config question

Disclaimer:  I rarely have to mess with Apache2 config and it's a good thing
because I only know *approximately* what I'm doing.

I always thought the URL was servername.domainname like this:

  http://mercury.somedomain.com
      references the SERVER NAME mercury and the domain SOMEDOMAIN.COM

  In Webmin, I see the virtual server set up to handle:
  ADDRESS: nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
  SERVER NAME: somedomain.com
  PORT:  80
  DOCUMENT ROOT: /var/www

  and this will refer all requests (*.somedomain.com) to the /var/www directory

How do I then specify that ONE SERVER NAME, "mercury" for example, is directed
elsewhere like this:??

   http://*.somedomain.com         ->  /var/www
   http://mercury.somedomain.com   ->  /var/www2

Is there ->somewhere<- an easy-to-understand intro to the world of apache2
configuration?  I'm spinning my wheels and I need to get the web site
development started... not become an Apache expert :-P

TIA
Eric

--
#  Eric Lucas