JP Vossen on 24 Sep 2007 19:45:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] MythTV Seminar on Saturday 2007-09-22

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 13:36:02 -0400
From: TuskenTower <tuskentower@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [PLUG] MythTV Seminar on Saturday 2007-09-22

If you are using Ubuntu 7.04 (Fiesty Fawn) like me and are planning to
install MythTV with the default install (meaning you don't touch your
sources list), it won't work.  There is a bit of history about this,
the XML grabber application goes to Zap2it labs servers which are no
longer present.  You need to update MythTV to target Schedules Direct
($20/yr) servers.

There is a post somewhere in the ubuntu forums about fixing this.
I'll send that link when I get home (its still open on my Linux box).

If you are using ubuntu 7.10 then you shouldn't have any problems.

Oh good point. I'd hope they'd back-port the patch for that...

Note: http://www.mythbuntu.org/downloads
"The Mythbuntu team opted to track the Gutsy archive instead during June. The 7.04 release has hence been skipped, and the rest of the development will track the 7.10 (Gutsy) archive.
"Mythbuntu 7.10 has not yet been released, but an alpha ISO image is available on our website here:"

Related, does anyone know if you can mix and match Myth FE and BE versions? I'll just use Mythbuntu for my back-end, so I won't have this problem, but I'll probably want to put the front-end on some pre-existing 6.04 LTS and 7.04 machines. Yes, I'll eventually upgrade them, but maybe some not until 8.04 LTS, so in the meantime can I use a
Mythbuntu back-end server (i.e. 7.10) with whatever front-end is in the 6.04 or 7.04 repos?

Two quick asides:
1) I'm updating http://www.jpsdomain.org/jp/mythtv.txt, maybe once a day or so, for anyone keeping track, though there will be a gap while I wait for H/W to show up.
2) Unless I hear back from anyone with better H/W ideas or prices, I'll go order that stuff I proposed tonight or tomorrow.

Later,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.