Toby DiPasquale on 24 Sep 2007 22:25:54 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Unix-like tools for Windows

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 12:22:18PM -0400, JP Vossen wrote:
> 4) http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx
> Wait, wait, I know it's M$, but...  It used to be sys/wininternals and
> Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell.  They have extremely cool tools and
> utilities, almost none of which require installation.  Just download the
> zip file, open it and run.  They are/were *so* good at digging into
> Windows guts that M$ bought them (out of self-defense I like to
> imagine).

You should hope not. If it was a defensive acquisition, kiss the utility
of those tools goodbye ;-)

OTOH, Russinovich's book "Microsoft Windows Internals" is a must read for
anyone interested in how Windows works at a low level or anyone looking
for an alternative OS design (i.e. "alternative" == "not UNIX").

--
Toby DiPasquale