Brian Vagnoni on 25 Sep 2007 04:16:54 -0000

[PLUG] DEFCON 15 - Securing Linux Applications with AppArmor

Hi;

No I didn't do this, nor did I get to see this presentation during DEFCON but I figure people will dig it nonetheless.  If people like these presentations I will continue to post different ones from time to time for discussion fodder.

Securing Linux Applications with AppArmor
Crispin Cowan
Director of Software Engineering
Suse/Novell

    The core of the security problem is that most software contains latent bugs, and many of these bugs can be exploited by attackers to cause the software to do something undesirable to the victims computer. To block this threat one either can use only perfect software (of which there is a shortage :) or use a security system to control what software may and may not do. The problem is that such systems are historically very difficult to use.

    AppArmor is an application security system that directly attacks the ease of use problem, making it possible for widespread adoption by developers, system administrators, and users. AppArmor  provides for security profiles (policies) that specify the files that a given program may read, write, and execute, and provides to tools to quickly and automatically generate these profiles.

    The presentation will briefly introduce the AppArmor system, and then spend much time showing you how to best use AppArmor to confine applications and protect systems. AppArmor is pure GPL software, and is available for SUSE, Slackware, Ubuntu, Gentoo, and Red Hat Linux.

http://www.v-system.net:81/presentations/dc-15-cowen.pdf to download the slides from my server.

My name is Brian Vagnoni and I dig IT security and hacking.

Next one I'll post for all the X Heads will be:

Either

Hacking the EFI Interface by
John Heasman
NGSSoftware

or

The Inherent Insecurity of Widgets & Gadgets
Aviv Raff
Security Researcher, Finjan

Please let me know if this stuffs helps you. Also, this is my personal web server so not everyone at once even though I have 1.5Mb upload.