Paul L . Snyder on 25 Sep 2007 17:56:01 -0000

Community standards (was Re: [PLUG] What next? and small rant [VMware on Ubuntu])

Greg Helled wrote:

> While this has nothing to do with linux, I don't see how proposing to
> marry a stripper is insulting to anyone.  Surely people should be free
> to marry whom they like, regardless of occupation?

Because locker room jocularity is alienating.  Lyz, as a community
member, is telling you that some members of the community do not
share all aspects of this type of humor.

There are all too few women involved in PLUG and in computer science
in general.  Perhaps a bit of empathy would reveal to you why working
to change this state of affairs is so difficult?  It would be great if
we didn't need organizations like LinuxChix specifically to encourage
participation from women, but given today's realities I'm grateful
that we _do_ have them.

Insensitivity (even if glazed with a geekish frosting) does not help
us build a community that is welcoming to everyone. By all means, let's
keep a playful sense of humor, but when sensibilities rub together we
need to take 'ubuntu' to heart: humanity to others.

Paul