Brent Saner on 26 Sep 2007 00:15:27 -0000

Re: Community standards (was Re: [PLUG] What next? and small rant [VMware on Ubuntu])

  • From: "Brent Saner" <brent.saner@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: Community standards (was Re: [PLUG] What next? and small rant [VMware on Ubuntu])
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 20:15:19 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=VOuE0P/DuuhthMo+Mo8XUvGWWGYzFtCDa/2r40ACf6U=; b=MpRk+IczmW9csSmU1lnUr4EMu1XgFY/i3UVHAWI0vrkRj2/UdiwMEneaKpW/Fhq/GIcJ25z5NjPexhDZA5eQDERchvtCLmPiwUnC/GoJQNejNzDWvP8Nycfsj070Ar6N5rycYt6qXVFsg+DP+PnoKCmHbal0BA3d7MkyX250F18=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

oh n0es! my b0x3n! :)

really, everyone, i said it as a joke, i apologized. it was wrong of me because i offended people, some people misunderstood what i meant..

can we seriously drop this thread now? please? we're making mountains out of molehills on BOTH sides.

On 9/25/07, Sonny To <son.c.to@gmail.com> wrote:
On 9/25/07, Greg Helledy <gregsonh@gra-inc.com> wrote:
>  > > While this has nothing to do with linux, I don't see how proposing to
>  > > marry a stripper is insulting to anyone.  Surely people should be free
>  > > to marry whom they like, regardless of occupation?
>
>  >Because locker room jocularity is alienating.
>
> I suppose I am just a Neanderthal but I am unable to understand how
> suggesting humorously (using a filesystem command, no less) that one
> marry a stripper to avoid domestic problems even approaches "locker
> room" (which could certainly be alienating).

i can hypothesize why it can be interpreted as offensive... being a
minority in any group, any comments or jokes that stereotypes (whether
good or bad) the minority is always interpreted as offensive. Its
human nature to feel bullied when the majority is saying stuff about
your minority  group. However, if a group of minority get together and
make the same comments and jokes, its cool cuz they're the majority
within that group and no one would feel that they are being singled
out and bullied. I grew up asian in a country of black and white so I
understand her view point. As a kid the way I dealt with bullies was
get a few friends together, stalk the bully from a distance and when
he's alone beat the crap out of him :). What would the equivalent of
that be? a distributed DoS attack on your server? :)

Brent Saner
215.264.0112(cell)
215.362.7696(residence)

http://www.thenotebookarmy.org