jeff on 30 Sep 2007 19:01:50 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Experience with Verizon FIOS & wireless installation

george@georgesbasement.com wrote:

> In the meantime, I've set up a proper username and password (from the
> router's "admin" & "password1") as well as a 128-bit WEP key. Any
> other security advice from the PLUG group ?  Oh, yeah - the web interface

1. USE WPA!!!

2. put the MAC addresses of all pc's connecting to the wireless into the
wireless router and deny access to any other MACs.

3. always change default name and passwords

4. turn off SSID broadcast

5. use other than the default channel

6. strong passwords

it won't make you Fort Knox, but it goes as far as you can out of the box.