gabriel rosenkoetter on 1 Oct 2007 20:24:50 -0000

[PLUG] adding work email address to PGP keys (was: Re: PLUG FAQ page)

At 2007-10-01 15:27 -0400, Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:
> Should I add the new address to the current key or generate a new key?  My
> preference is to use the same key so that it is always my key.  Is there any
> reason not to do this but to generate a new key.

That will require you to keep a copy of your private key on whatever
system you use at work to send email, which system presumably
doesn't belong to you (unless it's your business). That doesn't seem
like a very safe thing to do, does it? I would (and have done, in the
past) generate a separate key.

Even if you trust your employer (and, btw, you should inform
key-signing partners when you do this; it may sway their judgement
of how much trust to assign to your signatures of others' keys), you
may want to pre-generate a revocation certificate for that subkey
and keep it on hand for the day you leave that employer. (You
should, of course, already have a revocation certificate generated,
printed, and stored in a safe place for the whole key, in case
that's compromised.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net