Marc Zucchelli on 2 Oct 2007 13:38:00 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Verizon FIOS & open wireless

I have never really worried about people abusing my internet connection.  MOST people would be completely harmless, and the ones that are dangerous have to come within a close range to my house.  Is this really THAT serious of an issue?

jeff <jeffv@op.net> wrote:
gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> I don't understand when it became a bad idea to share ones Internet
> connection on purpose.

My guess would be when it became popular to hijack/hack connections.

> Being open (and neighborly) is not mutually exclusive with keeping
> your own systems secure.

if this were the 50's (yes, my wireless has tubes), I'd be right there
with you. Unfortunately I'm kinda stuck with the belief that if you
leave a door open, people will start coming through it (in a bad way).

There might be an undocumented hole in my setup. I might have forgotten
to patch something. Imo, there are too many negative types about even
to allow cordoned off access. Mind you, if my neighbor needed it, I'd
find a way.

P.S. with one of the aftermarket wireless OSes (dd-wrt, et al), you can
allegedly jack up the output of your wireless.