Brent Saner on 2 Oct 2007 20:36:40 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Filtering SPAM through gmail...does it give your IP address a bad name?

  • From: "Brent Saner" <brent.saner@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Filtering SPAM through gmail...does it give your IP address a bad name?
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 16:36:29 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=3HzEBSqXMK1z1eq0Yw3woNUOCwM39POHxm4dmjjHHrU=; b=MbiI+htNQGNfhXewFvid4xKB5Qp3VZw+gq4gF8+JYfyzFn/ix/EjQeEUmUdoWKBMqo9npDlVnXsKGr6AO0qV38uVNQDF0pXKMlSP1WEn4mB4wdaUXUNe8lbBaokOqD0P7GerzJDePKO2EUPHBESITo+2exebfFLlwyWA8nJxkwk=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

when i used to work at Adopt A Tech, we had a brilliant idea...

we'll write a newsletter!

so we took all our clients' e-mail addys (~2000 IIRC) and imported them into a listserv, etc. no prob.

the first time we sent it out, though, we only got about 1000 out..maybe it was 800... then Verizon shut us off. they thought we were spamming.

(luckily we gave them a call and they turned us back on...but the same thing happened the next issue as well)

moral of the story, i think it's mostly VOLUME and not contents. at least with verizon. but i'd guess that's a good way, either way, to get blacklisted.

On 10/2/07, Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:
On Tuesday 02 October 2007 09:45:50 Marc Zucchelli wrote:
> I host my customers websites and email. I have several who just want their
> mail to forward to their AOL or Yahoo account. I have more that want to
> have their mail forward to gmail so they can use gmails spam filter. I
> definitely know that Yahoo keeps a "reputation" for certain IP addresses.
> I have had the problem before of having legitimate mail sent through my
> server to yahoo, aol, or gmail end up in bulk mail folders. After
> configuring SPF, and installed Domain Keys, as well as hitting "not spam"
> enough times, I seem to be doing ok. I am ready to move some of my
> customers to a new server and I am afraid to start allowing them to forward
> their mail. If gmail (or anybody else) see's a lot of SPAM coming from my
> ip address (because it's forwarded), will that hurt my IP address's
> reputation? Is this something that a full service web host just has to
> deal with?
>
> Or, is filtering your spam through Gmail actually a GOOD solution?

Speaking from similar personal experience, I have an account @ alexion.com that
is almost 14 years old and spent a fair amount of time as a mailto link on a
web page.  Needless to say, it gets a lot of spam -- signal to noise ratio
like 1:125.

So I forward it through a yahoo account just for the spam filtering.  Seems to
eliminate about 60% of the spam without using my local cpu cycles for
filtering.  Bogofilter in this end traps almost all of the remaining 40%.

So the question would be "Does yahoo now think the alexion.com address is a
spammer?"  As far as I can tell, no.

Here is the only problem that it has created.  If the spam to me has forged my
FROM address and makes it through yahoo's filters, it never makes it to
bogofilter locally.  I live with it.

Brent Saner
215.264.0112 (cell)
215.362.7696(residence)