george on 2 Oct 2007 21:22:06 -0000

[PLUG] Choosing a router's security log settings

Wireless is working great - rock-solid connections ever since
setting the channel correctly.

Now I'm peeking inside the router (Actiontec MI424-WS) and seeing
that it pays pretty close attention to traffic even at the default
settings ... However, I'm presented with choices:

Security Log Settings

Accepted Events
  1   Accepted Incoming Connections
  2   Accepted Outgoing Connections
Blocked Events
  3   All Blocked Connection Attempts
  4   Winnuke
  5   Multicast/Broadcast
  6   ICMP Replay
  7   Defragmentation Error
  8   Spoofed Connection
  9   ICMP Redirect
  10  Blocked Fragments
  11  Packet Illegal Options
  12  ICMP Multicast
  13  Syn Flood
  14  UDP Flood
  15  ICMP Flood
  16  Echo Chargen
Other Events
  17  Remote Administration Attempts
  18  Connection States
Log Buffer
  19  Prevent Log Overrun

Imagine that there's a checkbox next to each of these instead of
the numbers. I'm inclined to check boxes 1, 2, 3, 17 & 19 as this
would cover all the bases.  When I get the inevitable massive
log files, which specific types of event should I be watching ?
Assuming that I read the first logs, of course ...

The connections will be made from two PC's - One's a Smoothwall
hardware firewall, and the other is a WinXPSP2 box protected by
McAfee.  I've got MAC address limiting set, so no other 'puters
should be seen, other than the servers we're asking in via Web
browsing, email, Aptitude, MS, and uploading to our web domains.

George Langford