Matthew Rosewarne on 4 Oct 2007 18:14:30 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Survey: who drives a stick shift?

On Thursday 04 October 2007, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
> My family bought a 2007 Toyota Prius some months ago.  I can't see a
> manual delivering the same level of fuel efficiency and smoothness
> because the transmission control is integrated with the engine control
> which turns the engine on and off.  I'm now sold on the concept that a
> computer can actually make better and faster decisions in this matter
> than I can.  [That was a hard pill for me to swallow.]

It's amusing, the only reason I bothered to get a proper grasp of how
transmissions actually work is because I wanted to see what was going on
under the Prius's hood.  I don't know what those guys at Toyota were smoking
when they designed it, but I want some, because that design is sheer
brilliance.  Anyone interested in mechanics ought to give it a look.

Having marvelled at the DARPA Grand Challenge results, I long for the day when
we finally get people out from behind the wheel and let the cars drive
themselves.  Now, I take pride in the level of attention and care I pay while
driving, and I consider myself an excellent (if unusual) driver, but it seems
to me that having human beings commanding 1.5 tons of quickly-moving steel is
a poor idea.  And to jump back on topic, let's say it should run Linux.

%!PS; I find it somewhat pathetic that in the US, 30 MPG is
considered "excellent" mileage.  I was driving around the UK almost a year
ago in a Ford diesel minivan (not a small car!) that got in excess of 40 MPG.
There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't be able to do this in the US.