TuskenTower on 7 Oct 2007 17:48:26 -0000

No change (WAS Re: [PLUG] HDHomeRun and Comcast Pre-liminary Report)

  • From: TuskenTower <tuskentower@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: No change (WAS Re: [PLUG] HDHomeRun and Comcast Pre-liminary Report)
  • Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 13:48:21 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition; bh=RHi68FbAJbtVVoqu0UoUPS3boOAg0so1xPDDwBzSDz8=; b=h6Tnkjdn8koZjYlUSqayGeg2aiK0AFdPtZnj14TQTfbwu/zajH2Z/8WvUU4lZoH653N3YoLsKs3gNgixfcvh1GApuQfSberKK6BM4//QVwwuv3sc3GNmvANGHYCpwkSM6pw8iFnGad1bdIwZbefMdBeAmSY4QNTT2LbmHXdZs30=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

> > > I'll try to do some more testing this weekend to see what I find.  I
> > > did do a list of all the channels that I found.  I did find many
> > > analog signals coming in over QAM256, some free to air and others
> > > which look like very basic cable channels.

> > Thanks for the info so far.  I'm quite interested in hearing all about
> > your experience.  I really am thinking about getting one but haven't
> > found enough usefull local feedback on how easy it is to get it
> > working with SD.  I'd be interested in finding out all the channels
> > you get.  Right now it's that or another pvr-500.

As we know, with QAM, you only get digital channels.  Since most TV
don't have QAM tuners, I can only surmise that Comcast expects you to
have a cable box (which most of my friends do).  I am guessing here,
but I believe that if you want to receive HD free to air channels you
have to get a digital cable box.  This means that if you have basic
digital cable, you are limited to basic cable (unlike we are without
the box and QAM capable TV).

I tried lining things up from Comcast's channel lineup with what I
found.  It looks like I can see something between Digital Starter and
Digital Classic.  I must admit, I am confused and bored with this
part.  The SD channels are there, but you have to scroll through the
scanned channels to find what you are looking for.  The HDHomeRun is
good if you just want the free to air HD channels and don't want to
use an antenna.

> I have an HDHR that I use with EyeTV on OSX (Mac Mini as dedicated
> HTPC) with Verizon FiOS.

How is the HD playback?  Do you have an HDTV?  I was thinking of using
the Mac Mini as a frontend.

> however, it is only an ATSC and QAM tuner, not an analog-to-digital
> converter.  if you need the "analog hole" for your timeshifting, I
> recommend the Canopus ADVC110 which does a simple RCA to DV conversion
> (bi-directional).

Does that mean you are using an IR Blaster to control your cable box?

Amul