Edward Heaney on 8 Oct 2007 08:09:48 -0000

[PLUG] Getting a driver for RocketRAID 1742 (Debian ETCH)

Hard Drive: WD Caviar SE16

Controller: RocketRAID 1742

According to http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1885&page=2

"(right click on the My Computer icon and go to Properties, then select the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button), expand the "IDE ATA/ATPI controllers" branch and double click on the controller the "Western Digital WD4000K" is connected to. Once you know the name, go to the manufacturer's website and download the appropriate driver for that controller."

I went to High Point's website, and for Linux Open Source, the driver download is

rr174x-linux-src-v1.03-082307- ...etc

In Windows the Controller's driver is rr174...

I found that the driver can be gotten from

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/bios_rr1742.htm

The rr174 driver is not available in Debian ETCH.

In ETCH, when I say no to 'Do you have a driver floppy', it says that it can find no partitionable disk; and 'Am I sure that I have a drive connected to my system?

With CTRL-H, for the Controller prompt, the new 400GB drive is listed.