JP Vossen on 11 Oct 2007 06:23:55 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Mac OS X question

Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:08:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: James Fiore <jfiore@absurgery.org>
Subject: Re: [PLUG] OT: Mac OS X question

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, zuzu wrote:
...try Firefox -- especially Firefox rather than Camino -- with 200+
tabs...
<snip>
200+ tabs in Firefox is "nothing out of the ordinary"?  No wonder you need
4GB of RAM.  I'm not trying to be belligerent.  I'm just genuinely curious how
you work with that many tabs open and why?  Are these news articles? --
the way you do research?  What do you do with that many tabs?  Does
anyone else work with anywhere near that many tabs?

I don't know about 200, but I currently have 111 tabs in 7 FF windows using 227,000K according to Task Mangler as follows:
1) 8 tabs, just "stuff" (/., Dilbert, Google Cal, weather, etc.)
2) 7 tabs, work portal, CVS stuff (I often have 10-15 tabs here)
3) 9 tabs, bash Cookbook stuff
4) 17 tabs, personal project
5) 51 tabs, MythTV, Mythbuntu, various
6) 10 tabs, t-shooting a work tar issue
7) 9 tabs, t-shooting my Optiplex X video issue

Yes, that's right, I said Task Mangler. This is on my work Viao laptop, running XP2, with 1G. Including the FF windows, I have 32 app buttons in the task bar, including Outlook, Word and Excel, all of which are pigs. I have Notepad++ with 10 open files, and most of the others, (except Thunderbird, Toad and Remedy) are light-weight things like Notepad. I also have 11 items in the tool tray, including the VPN, A/V, GDS, Pidgin, PGP, and Pagent.

I get uptime in the 40-50 day range, though *stable* uptime is usually under 30 days. As you might imagine, after rebooting it's a time consuming affair to get back to where I left off. (Mark me down as a heavy duty "intertwingler". :) FF and TB are *by far* the biggest memory pigs, though I'm sure M$ Office apps cheat by not counting shared libs in the task mangler listings.

Wow, interesting.  I kind of hate to admit all that, but there it is...

Surely OS/X or Ubuntu can beat that?

<ducking>
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.