darin strait on 13 Oct 2007 16:18:04 -0000

[PLUG] Gateway "Essential" 866 x86-32 PC up for grabs

It's Saturday and I'm unloading more gear. I've got a x86-32 PC up for
grabs. Free as kittens. The rule is that you have to pick it up at my
apartment on the east side of Lansdale, PA..

These pictures are of a very similar unit:
http://www.ronstultz.com/knowledge/Documents/Gateway%20Flexatstc%20BRO%20Essential%20933C.htm

The major differences are:
My unit is missing the grey/purple trim work show being removed in the
second photo.
The CDROM is not black, as show in the photos. It is a slightly darker
beige than the case color. This Sony CDROM works, but it's pretty old
and probably something like a 14x drive.
My unit has a 866 MHz PIII processor.
My unit has 1x128 MB and 1x256 MB stick for a total of 320 MB.
My unit has a 6.4 GB WD disk, IIRC. I wiped the drive with DBAN a few
weeks back.
My unit is legacy-free, it has no parallel port and no serial ports.
It does have built-in USB 1.1 ports.

These machines have two PCI slots and onboard i810 (maybe i815)
graphics. I ran debian on it for several years, with a 120 GB drive in
it. One of the PCI slots has a 100 mbit NIC, the other has a 2 port
USB2.0 card. This unit only takes half-height cards.

This is an old machine that was designed for light use at the time it
was made. I used it as my main linux machine up until August, but it
can't complete with my Athlon XP 2000 laptop.

The machine will boot off of the CDROM. If you've got a burned distro
CD, installation should be a snap.

I don't have a USB keyboard or mouse that I can give you. Basically,
this if for the machine, no cords, no OS, no nuttin' else. I suspect
that many people in this LUG have extra peripherals lying around
anyway.