JP Vossen on 17 Oct 2007 03:32:18 -0000

Re: [PLUG] the appliance whose name shall not be spoken

> Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 19:42:42 -0400
> From: jeff <jeffv@op.net>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] the appliance whose name shall not be spoken

> By way of follow up, the unit eventually cooperated.  My workmate asks
> me what'll happen if he toggles the ftp button on the GUI.  I told him
> it would provide hours of entertainment, provided he didn't actually
> want to use ftp.
>
> He tells me it's working, yet I can't pull up any ftp process, so I
> tell him it isn't.  Mind you, he has a login prompt, so I can't really
> argue. I got the process the third time.  One would hope it would show
> up before someone gets asked for credentials, but I'm just silly that
> way.

How were you looking for it? If you were using ps, it won't show up until it's in use, since ftp usually runs from an inet "super server" like inetd or xinetd. That is, there is no daemon until it's actually in use. But unless they are doing something hinky, it should show up using netstat -l (or -ln).

Later,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.