zuzu on 17 Oct 2007 20:11:16 -0000

Re: [PLUG] cultural ethics of email and spam

  • From: zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] cultural ethics of email and spam
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 16:11:11 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=h/xE5UhhIBEum9wAbVbspXFesIF1mRvFD6gwbme4i4U=; b=mOp1TbNyA3MrHHlKg3jz0OSLGkj12dcLRlCgaJnMmk6Gj4rEMI5E9NPkwD+LcD5cnErJ94MqH6i6kMN5IG53BfSqaPyv5gdB0uPIgZsQxueRkXLEq9g/ycSbG3I9XTYr8+GcF3OUmG+hEaY/vY5zCgzpoNEo+TYRfS/1r8ipbuM=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On 10/17/07, John Von Essen <john@essenz.com> wrote:
> Read your Terms of Service for your broadband internet provider.

appeals to "policy" are hardly convincing.  do you believe in
click-trhough End User License Agreements (EULAs) too?  (LOL!)  Big
Telephone and Big Cable don't want anyone competing with their media
distribution monopoly to begin with.  they hate the "disruptive
technology" where everyone is a "producer" and not just a passive
"consumer".

> Residential user's email originating at an MTA behind their home connection
> is considered spam by most remote systems because that activity is not
> allowed.

but as a third party you don't know that, nor assume that.  maybe I
have speakeasy or some other ISP that explicitly does allow home
connections to act as a "server".

although, again, the distinction between "server" and "client" on the
internet is inherently dubious; it's a peering network, not a
hierarchy.  the culture has confused this fact; such as how HTTP was
originally written to be bi-directional (as with wikis and webdav),
but Netscape et. al. were too lazy to implement that fully.

> And I have no sympathy for people who run MTA's behind Comcast,
> violate ToS, then complain that they "should" be allowed to do this and why
> is everyone unfairly blocking.

do I smell hubris?

> If you want to run a server, buy business-class cable or DSL. If you want to
> be cheap and break the rules to cheat the system, suffer the consequences.

again, you're assuming too much authority to decide who is "cheap" and
what the "rules" should be.  furthermore, your appeal to
"business-class" smacks of "tiered internet".

without citing artificial restrictions, _bandwidth is bandwidth_.
really you're paying purely for Mbps with several "nines" of
availability, that's it.