Mike Leone on 19 Oct 2007 19:13:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] How best to replace old drive with new drive

On Fri, October 19, 2007 2:30 pm, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> On Friday 19 October 2007, Greg Lopp wrote:
>> You are correct, but then he has an exact duplicate of the old drive and
>> whole bunch of empty space because the new drive is larger....but making
>> use of that unused space might be an easier problem to solve than
>> getting
>> grub to work that first time
> '
> While it might have been the only way to copy a Windows system, drive
> imaging
> isn't really a good wa to copy a Linux system.  Copying the files over is
> overwhelmingly faster than making a bit-for-bit copy of an entire disk,
> much
> of it empty space.  It's also better to let the new filesystem to place
> the
> files, which should increase its performance.

And more work, since I have like 5 partitions on the drive (one for /boot,
one for /var, etc). I do enough work *at* work. :-) At home, the less
setup time I do, the more time I get to actually use/enjoy the system ...

As for expanding the partitions after imaging, I have Partition Magic,
which I've sworn by for many years. These are ext3 partitions, btw, so
they should just resize in the latest PM (v 8, I believe).