gabriel rosenkoetter on 23 Oct 2007 23:05:33 -0000

Re: [PLUG] [Fwd: Backup Central / Help me decide what's in my next book?]

At 2007-10-22 15:17 -0400, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
> I have and *really* like the "part 1" book _Backup & Recovery_ which
> focuses on backing up using non-commercial tools.

Minor nit: that's the first *rewrite* of the venerable "Unix Backup &
Recovery" (which had two editions from ORA, and covered both OSS and
commercial products as well as hardware all over the scale). Though
Curtis is vaguely suggesting that they are two parts of the same
whole, there's absolutely redundant information in them, so, at this
point, you definitely don't need the original and you probably only
need one of the two new ones.

I agree: this is one of the best books ORA sells. (Well, "Unix
Backup & Recovery" was, and most of it lives on. See below.)

I actually don't yet have a copy of "Backup & Recovery", but I've
suddenly got reason to care (side job with a startup; my day job
falls into the Enterprise version by a Long Shot). I'm glad (and I
know Curtis would be glad) to know you thought highly of it!

> The "part 2" book is to cover commercial tools with global Enterprise
> scalability (my interpretation).  IMO he provides great, fair and
> balanced coverage of F/OSS tools and OS' in book one, and I have no
> reason to think that won't be true in book two.

(This is the second context-specific rewrite of the original book.)

Apart from the stuff that's just understanding backup/recovery in
general terms, the Enterprise book will mostly ignore OSS and focus
on products like NetBackup, NetWorker, TSM, as well as the (fairly
pricey but cost-effective for businesses that can afford them)
dedupe, remote-to-core, disk-to[-disk-to]-tape and DR-enabling
hardware and software devices available commercially. The kind of
thing you have to pay for but which doesn't actually list a *price*
on their website.

If you've never considered buying a SunTK 9940B tape drive (list
price: $45,000... PER DRIVE), you probably don't actually need the
new booK book. (PS, don't buy 9940Bs, buy LTO-3s--same speed, same
or better capacity, so forth--even if you are buying a SunTK
SL8500--holds up to 128 tape drives and 7000 carts, it's the size
of a single-wide trailer fully-built out, and you can trunk at least
4 of them together with pass-through slots. LTO-3s are only $12k a
pop, less the appropriate corporate / educational / volume discount.)
Note that you may have considered that and thrown it out as way too
expensive, but the new book would still apply (ie, you went with
NetWorker and half a rack of SL500).

> My personal backup system uses some ideas from his first book, and I'd
> like to contribute to the second but I'm not an enterprise-level backup
> admin.  But I suspect there are probably a few on this list...

Yep, already on the list.

Incidentally, Curtis will be in town on Thursday (25 October, 2007)
giving a day-long talk at a Techtarget conference (under the auspices
of GlassHouse, which bought out the company he founded a couple of
years ago). The details are on my work laptop (yes, I'll be there),
but given the salesliming Techtarget engages in, I'd be surprised
if it weren't still possible to get in on it. Drop me a line privately
if you care.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net