JP Vossen on 26 Oct 2007 19:24:39 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Gutsy

> Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 12:57:44 -0400
> From: "Mark M. Hoffman" <mhoffman@lightlink.com>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Gutsy
>
> FYI: upgrade w/o CDROM is not too hard Fedora/RHEL/Centos/etc:
>
> 1) Grab the pxeboot images, "initrd.img" and "vmlinuz".  E.g. F7:
> <mirror>/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/i386/os/images/pxeboot/

<snip>

> 4) Reboot, and pick the new entry in GRUB. Viola, no CDROM or floppy needed.
>
> Any machine w/ GRUB can be upgraded/overwritten to any distro w/ pxe images with that method. IIRC ubuntu has them also, but it's been a while.

Interesting, I didn't know that, though in hindsight I see it. I will remember that if I need to do a CentOS upgrade like that, thanks.

For a new or clean install that makes a lot of sense. But doesn't RH still strongly recommend "clean" reinstalls for major upgrades? They did last time I checked, but I think that was circa RHEL3 or so.

One of the reasons I moved from RH to Debian was that fact that a major upgrades are "in band" so to speak. No reboot, no clean reinstall, just tweak /etc/apt/sources.list and "aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade" for Debian or (*strongly* recommended) "update-manager --check-dist-upgrades" for Ubuntu. Reboot once at the end and that's it. In theory, everything is migrated and/or you are asked about changes and told about deprecated packages. In practice, that's all worked for me.

I'm past the time when installing OS' is "fun," I just want them to work, so I like the idea that I install the OS once. I never need to reinstall because I have to or it gets crufty (Windows) or because the vendor strongly recommends it for major upgrades (RH). Unless I am wrong and that has changed for RH or others?

OK, stepping down from my soap box and shutting up now... :-)
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.