Brent Saner on 27 Oct 2007 00:26:54 -0000

Re: [PLUG] non-nerdy ... a non-rant

  • From: "Brent Saner" <brent.saner@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] non-nerdy ... a non-rant
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 20:26:46 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=FJCZsajP1fvDCmR6SCezkRO9X/iYCJP6cm/Lx8LeLhQ=; b=M4Cw5uHDoT9TTO6NSJiTByvI+ZEB1Yubaw6RNiQVnpIwa9LDFE8xPZuVdKx03YRDKx2rzMrqVAdTAPS/XwbLDnY8Mr4Wy3mdsRt846iLAW69MENV0wLq9DiapI1B0lps3jWP0+bboPvw2bIon95hjX6d8adQXAW0FvMVDiiVo7M=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

personally, when i back up my server, i just worry about the data. i back up:
-my configs
-my /var/www dir
-a mysql dump
-a list of installed apps.

that's it.
there are some EXCELLENT bash scripts out there for mysql dumping, etc. and it's simply a matter of putting it in a cronjob.

it all depends on what you're backing up TO, and your preferred media of backup, and what you're most comfortable with, what features you're looking for, etc.