K.S. Bhaskar on 29 Oct 2007 01:32:33 -0000

Re: [PLUG] [Fwd: Gutsy and Atheros wireless - my experience]

  • From: "K.S. Bhaskar" <bhaskar@bhaskars.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] [Fwd: Gutsy and Atheros wireless - my experience]
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 21:32:29 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; bh=TswNjQpwLVQfxUrVZdW4ddm4eLBLcZIrdcRBYi3Kxic=; b=qQsRt6TTXX9pMaMISxBaE2xpxmzKC96qcD0rGY3XnWia1/HyZR0Cqd1bg/H0MZIKpOajLi5e6gPrvMDIF0omfKvfrWkFcGtQw0JamBQx+ixS+qvuJAegL0XRzUZ1pD/NW44+B7BvxfbshW/Ki+2iOtWT83gOGt1hJf/nmaOwv6Q=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Are you using the a Gutsy release candidate / pre-release?  I install
Gutsy Tribe 5 on a laptop with an Atheros Wifi card, and after some
intermediate upgrades, I had exactly the same issue as you - frequent
dropping of signals.  So, I reverted to running that laptop with Edgy.
 [When I configure a PC or laptop, I set up alternate root partitions,
and a common /home and swap.]

Once the Gutsy general release came out, I upgraded the Gutsy
partition by booting the laptop into Edgy, chrooting to the Gutsy
partition and running aptitude.  With the production release of Gutsy,
the Atheros is as stable as it ever was.

So far, I have been very happy with Gutsy - running it on two laptops
and one PC.  Being in the software business myself, I hold production
software releases to a much higher standard of robustness than I do
beta releases.  I have read other diatribes on Gutsy Tribes regarding
Atheros support, but have not heard of instability with production
software.

Regards
-- Bhaskar

On 10/28/07, Mike Leone <turgon@mike-leone.com> wrote:
> Here's a copy of a post I just made on the kubuntu mailing list.
> Comments and help welcomed ...

[KSB] <...snip...>