JP Vossen on 29 Oct 2007 21:52:22 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Taking a Whack Against Comcast

Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 05:44:40 -0500 (EST)
From: fljohnson3@isp.com
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Taking a Whack Against Comcast

<snip>

(1) undertrained customer support (they never really learned what IP is,
outside of two or three applications that came in the box with Windoze)
(2) a less-than-optimally-reliable WAN
(3) poor network management practices, e.g. making it harder for the user
to get stuff done or presenting how it all works as a "black art" that the
user shouldn't "worry (his/her) pretty little head about". (I used to do
net admin for a small company in DC, and insisted on educating MY users.)

I've never tried to run a server on their lines, which is against the ToS among other things. And I've not tried any serious bit torrenting, a subject on which they are accumulating considerable flack at the moment.

But I will say Comcast can't run DNS to save their lives. In my personal experience, I'd guess 80-90% of the problems I've seen or had people complain about (other that just plain being down or disconnected) were crappy DNS. I stopped using Comcast DNS very soon after I started using Comcast, and didn't have nearly the problems that many other people, especially neighbors, had. OpenDNS is one solution, though I just used SpeakEasy DNS since I am also their customer.

I never even bothered with FiOS DNS and still just use OpenDNS and Speakeasy...

Later,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.