Isaac Bennetch on 1 Nov 2007 00:33:12 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Video question

  • From: "Isaac Bennetch" <bennetch@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Video question
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:33:05 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=OY6Gb1Uqde/K836erl276g1AMHOqQIpa0hYF30G+jfA=; b=Qa4afQzn7mHMNhwfoq4SZ6Lea108xjh+RbDDoA5tjlJf1lM06d1ZlOHls/NFvwWpAJuGiXd5OsF69uQwyEW8o9a7fQQlhWU04IJ/7hkM/ZSkXo8SOqFrryZCCA/yaxYgCtU86fqAuBBo07TVmim8Chfv7NF/eyrhKDfhiQMePr8=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Yeah, I agree with Brent -- if they don't expressly tell you they'll
make it in to , say, a QuickTime file, they're probably just going to
make a standard NTSC video DVD. You could do the same if you have a
DVD recorder, hook the output of your camera to the input of the DVD
recorder, create the DVD, then rip the DVD into your computer.

Other than that you should ask around and see if you can borrow a
friend's mini-DV camera, as that's already a digital format you get a
nice friendly datastream on the FireWire port and can relatively
easily make the data file using any of a huge number of programs. Or
do the same with a webcam, if quality isn't a huge concern.

Your odds of finding a local photo shop that will digitize it, that
is, record it to a datafile, aren't so good as most of them probably
will want to (and only be configured to) make a standard video DVD
instead of the data file.

Since it's for a scholarship I wonder if she's still in high school,
if so they'll possibly have some sort of ability to get you the file
you need. Come to think of it, most colleges should have something
like that too.

Good luck,
~isaac