Art Alexion on 3 Nov 2007 18:31:16 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Free Software

On Friday, 26 October 2007 21:52, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> Having gained enough wealth to develop strong educational and financial
> infrastructures of their own, the formerly-impoverished countries no longer
> require the innovation or financial management of the US.

Perhaps my opinions on this stuff are colored by the fact that I grew up in a
PA "steel town" in the late '50s, early '60s.  My friends parents raised
families comfortably working in that mill.  They earned an income that kept
them in the middle class without a lot of education, etc.  These same people,
if not lucky enough to get work in the building trades, would be working for
poverty wages in retail today.

Not everyone has the ability or predisposition to work in the "knowledge
industry".  The scenario that Matt describes is inevitable.  "the
formerly-impoverished countries [can develop a middle class market with their
manufacturing base, while] no longer requir[ing] the innovation or financial
management of the US"

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @