Matthew Rosewarne on 3 Nov 2007 20:50:47 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Free Software

On Saturday 03 November 2007, Art Alexion wrote:
> So I still believe in my initial position -- people aren't buying software
> they can get for free, they are buying support contracts dressed up as
> software licenses.

The way I look at it, I can see it less as the purchasing of a software
product (which it never really is anyway) and more as an investment in both
software and service.  When you purchase a copy of (really, a license for) ,
say, an "enterprise" linux distro, you' paying for the backing of the company
that stands behind it.  What you get out of the company's backing might be
some kind of user support, where they provide a (paid) human being to help
you, possibly preferential treatment on the bug tracker, but most importantly
you're paying them to keep maintaining the software.  That would include not
just working on the next version, but also fixing bugs, patching
vulnerabilities, etc.  You're essentially investing in the continued upkeep
and improvement of the software, rather than a one-off "product".  However,
some similarity with proprietary billing practises is understandable, since
that's what most people are used to by now.

I wouldn't tout Novell's example of bundling proprietary "value-add" products
with the Free software in an attempt to justify the purchase cost, since the
proprietary parts tend not to add much (if any) real "value" to the overall
package.  Honestly, I don't think Novell has a clue what it's doing as far as
their Linux strategy is concerned.

%!PS: As for the inevitability of serious economic strife in the US, I would
hope and expect that we have ways to prevent much of it.  While I may not
know exactly what that would take, I'm far too stubborn for fatalism. :>