JP Vossen on 5 Nov 2007 21:43:55 -0000

[PLUG] Ubuntu (& Debian & Linux) rule

I just had to share this. Twice today I've run into issues where I needed to add a feature to my Gutsy workstation. It took literally < 1 minute in each case to identify the problem, search for a solution then install it and get my work done. For me, it would have taken *far* longer than that on Windows. Sure you can Google or use a third-party Windows repo, but that's risky for quality, stability, and malware reasons; and time consuming for finding, downloading, installing and testing reasons.

The first one was a simple tool for reassembling MPEG clips (since cat didn't quite work :):
$ apt-cache search join mpg
$ apt-cache show mpgtx
$ sudo aptitude install mpgtx
Done!

The second was the ability to read and write the clipboard from the command line for use with things like grep | cut | sort -u [1].
$ apt-cache search clipboard
$ apt-cache show xclip
$ sudo aptitude install xclip
Done!

And just for fun I did similar yum searches in CentOS-4. I got nothing for the first and nothing appropriate for the second. Debian & Ubuntu rule.

Oh yeah, then I had to rename 100+ files. On Windows I'd use Excel to write a batch file to do it (unless the data was saved on my Samba server, which it usually is). On Linux, this trivially did the trick:
$ for i in ?.MPG; do mv $i "00$i"; done
$ for i in ??.MPG; do mv $i "0$i"; done

Later,
JP

[1] Full disclosure, I already know how to read and write the clipboard on Windows four different ways, but if I hadn't, solving this would have taken a lot longer than < 1 minute:

i) The 4NT commercial shell replacement I use from jpsoft.com has the special clip: device for use in STDIN|OUT redirection

ii) You can use gclip.exe and pclip.exe from http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

iii) use Win32::Clipboard; in Perl (which I do in most of my CLI tools, code available if anyone cares)

iv) I know I've seen other free/shareware tools that do this, but never noted them since I already use [i,ii,iii]
JP Vossen, CISSP |:::======| jp{at}jpsdomain{dot}org
My Account, My Opinions |=========| http://www.jpsdomain.org/
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.