James Barrett on 9 Nov 2007 22:11:50 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT? Chumby

On Friday 09 November 2007 04:46:04 pm Brent Saner wrote:
> it'd be neat of you could GPL hardware, or patents, things like that... i
> mean, that's what Open OEM (http://www.innovationstage.com/openoem/) is
> doing, but that's just for computers. it'd be nice to have a patenting
> license that one can apply to ANY type of hardware/mechanics/etc.

I was thinking of that very same thing a few nights ago.  The tradeoff of
patents for mechanical items is that you get the sole rights to production of
your invention only if you show everyone how it is created.  I suppose that
if someone patented an invention and then licensed production of it to people
for free, it might work out.  I would hope that with such an agreement there
would be some sort of binding clause which states that improvements on the
invention would remain free.  Of course IANAL.  A GPL for mechanical items
sounds like a great idea to me.